If you are running a business then it would have been of uttermost importance for you to always streamline each and every operation in your business.
Not all the businesses start their journey on the right foot and this is why sometimes, business owners need to step up to the plate. Well, opening a business is not that tough, but maintaining its pace in the fast-moving world with a long list of challenges is the real difficulty. And this is one of the main reasons why most of the businesses are avoiding being bogged down with traditional solutions and make a paradigm shift to technological solutions. But in order to make the most of that technological solution, you will first need to understand it in a detailed way and one such solution is cloud computing.
Although there are many things to learn about cloud computing and it is very easy to understand the different branches, working and benefits of this advanced technological solution that is turning out to be a panacea for SMEs but covering all those things will take a complete series of articles and this is why, in this blog post, we are going to discuss about the two main platforms of cloud computing that are known as Desktop as a Service and Software as a Service.
For your information, we would like to tell you that these are not only platforms of cloud computing as there are Iaas, PaaS, and many more. But in this blog post, we are going to talk about the top 10 differences between both Desktop as a Service and Software as a Service. So, without any further ado, let’s get into the details of the topic.
1. The word SaaS stands for Software as a Service and it is the software that is delivered through this advanced cloud platform, but the word DaaS stands for Desktop as a Service that is also known as desktop virtualization and it also delivers software but in a much more extensive way.
2. The provided service in the case of DaaS is a desktop environment and it is easily accessible through the internet, but that is not the case with Software as a Service. In SaaS, the software is only delivered through the cloud model.
3. If you will choose Desktop as a Service then you will get full desktop accessibility on the computer and the same feature will be available on any mobile device that will have internet connection but the same facility will not be available in the case of Software as a Service.
4. You should know that if you will go for Software as a Service then you will never have to deal with any type of hardware upgrade in order to take advantage of a very powerful software but the same thing doesn’t apply to Desktop as a Service and this is also one of the main differences between these two popular cloud models.
5. Desktop as a Service will always offer a one-stop-solution for all the users and this is why it will more time and money than Software as a Service where you might even need to deal with multiple cloud sources and that will surely increase your cost and time spent on each operation.
6. The hosting provider in the case of Desktop as a Service offers each and every type of resource that is required for running the desktop environment and all the software within it along with saving and storing data for each session but such type of infra doesn’t apply to Software as a Service.
7. In the case of Software as a Service, you can easily access the software with the help of a browser, but in the case of Desktop as a Service, you will never need a browser in order to access the desktop environment provided by the hosting provider.
8. Some of the best examples of Desktop as a Service provider are Amazon, Citrix, and Desktone while some of the best examples of Software as a Service are Gmail, Dropbox, Hangouts, Google Calendar, Google Sheets, etc.
9. If you will ask a cloud expert then he will mention Software as Service as an independent cloud platform that is used by millions of people, but when you will ask him about Desktop as a Service then he will mention it as a subset of Software as a Service since both share many features and benefits.
10. There are basically three categories in the Desktop as a Service model and these three categories are Private cloud DaaS, Virtual Private cloud DaaS, Public cloud Daas but you should know that there is no such categorization in the case of Software as a Service.
You should know that both the Desktop as a Service and Software as Service fulfill different requirements and this is one of the main reasons why you need to understand the difference between these two. Other than this long list of differences, both SaaS and DaaS share some similarities as well like in both the cases, the resources are provided by the hosting provider itself and even the management of the resources is done by the cloud hosting provider. Well, in order to choose a good cloud platform, you will need to understand it in a detailed manner and this is what we have done in this blog post.